Taylor Morrison was formed when Morrison Homes and Taylor Woodrow merged in July 2007.
Taylor Woodrow was founded by Frank Taylor and Jack Woodrow in 1921. The two built a pair of modest semi-detached houses at 347 and 349 Central Drive, Blackpool in England. Through the 1920s, Taylor’s new company focused on providing high-quality, low- cost housing in the area of Lancashire Taylor Woodrow started to diversify into the construction of temporary hospitals, etc., in the 1930s. Thereby moving his company into general construction.
Taylor Woodrow entered the Canadian construction market in 1936 by way of an acquisition of Monarch Development Corporation. Monarch Development Corporation was founded in 1917 and at the time was one of Canada’s oldest, most diversified, and largest real estate companies. The company purchased a controlling of the newly established business, Monarch Mortgage and Investments Limited, in 1953. Monarch Mortgage and Investments Limited held ownership of stores, land, houses, and apartment complexes in the Toronto area. In 1994, Taylor Woodrow shifted its business focus to the high-rise sector. Between 1945 and 2001, Taylor Woodrow Homes was the main operations in general construction for Taylor Woodrow, this was only being a small part of the Group.
Morrison Homes was founded in Seattle by C.G. Morrison in 1905. In 1946, the company moved to northern California. The companies, the main market, was in mid-market and first-time home communities. Morrison Homes built homes in Sacramento, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville. In 1984 George Wimpey Plc acquired Morrison Homes.
In 2001, George Wimpey’s acquired Richardson Homes and was later integrated under the Morrison brand.
The United Kingdom-based parent companies of Taylor Woodrow Inc. and Morrison Homes Inc. merged on July 6, 2007. Taylor Woodrow Plc. and George Wimpey Plc. merged, forming a new company, Taylor Wimpey Plc., thus becoming one of the world’s largest home building companies.
The companies operate under their existing brands until 2008, at which time they began to operate under the new brand of Taylor Morrison.
Taylor Morrison became a wholly-owned subsidiary of TMM Holdings Limited Partnership in July 2011. TMM Holdings is indirectly owned by investment funds and separately managed by Oaktree Capital Management, JH Investments, as well as TPG Capital. Taylor Morrison was taken public in 2013.