The City of Banning is located in Riverside County, California in the San Gorgonio Pass. The first white person to enter the area was Dr. Isaac Smith in 1853. According to records Dr. Smith purchased the land from Paulino Weaver an undivided 1-third interest from the Mexican Governor, Pio Pico. After purchasing the land Dr. Smith moved his wife and 7 children to the area, Where they built a house known as Smith’s Station. Later this house became Highland Home and eventually being named Highland Springs.
The following year, Gilman Ranch adobe was built, becoming Banning’s first permanent landmark. Eventually, the area was used as a stopover for the Colorado Stage & Express Line on its route to the Colorado River from Los Angelos. The route was a half-mile north of downtown Banning, through the foothills, and continued just north of Cabazon and Whitewater. in 1876, the railroad replaced the stagecoach. By this time Banning had become known as “STAGECOACH TOWN, U.S.A.” Banning continues its stagecoach tradition to this day with its famous annual Stagecoach Days Celebration featuring a carnival, parade, and rodeo.
The City of Banning received its name in honor of General Phineas T. Banning. General Banning freighted over the Mormon trail from Salt Lake to San Bernardino and Los Angeles. General Banning operated a stage line that ran from Wilmington to Yuma, Arizona through the Banning Pass.
The City of Banning is strategically located along Interstate 10 (formerly US 99) between the Inland Empire and the Coachella Valley in the San Gorgonio Pass. The city was incorporated in 1913 and was official named Banning. Banning is a friendly town with desirable and affordable housing. Banning is known for ample water, clean air supplies, and the memorable and inspiring views of the 2 tallest peaks in Southern California, Mt. San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Jacinto.