Bill Pulte founded Pulte Homes (Pulte Group, Inc.) in 1956, in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Pulte has been building homes for the past 65 years with people in mind. This commitment is the cornerstone of their company culture and continues to drive Pulte Homes’ policies and practices to this day.
Pulte Group, Inc. became a publicly-traded company in 1977. Since the IPO, Pulte Group, Inc. has acquired the following companies:
- Divosta for an estimated $150 million in 1998
- Radnor Homes for an undisclosed amount in 1998
- Del E. Webb Construction Company for $1.8 billion in 2001
- Sivage-Thomas Homes for an undisclosed sum of cash in 2003
- Centex for $1.3 billion in 2009
- American West Homes for $150 million in 2019
PulteGroup, Inc. (previously known as Pulte Homes) is based in Atlanta, Georgia. Based on the number of homes closed, the company is the 3rd largest home construction company in the United States. The company builds homes in 44 markets in 23 states and is ranked 312th on the Fortune 500 list.